Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Psudie - Grow up Edition

This is in response to the letters found here.

Dear Prudie,

I'm, like, the hottest things since Paris Hilton, I should like, totally get the best jobs like her, too, right?

Y&A

Dear "Oh, I hope I was never that young,"

Pay attention. This is coming from someone only 6 years older than you (I know, how ancient am I more than 1/4 again as old as you O.O), she is not an "older lady" any more than a sibling of yours or your friends is an "older person" in that same sense. Yes she's older than you, but in a youth-oriented market, she's far from the oldest thing out there. You've heard of Howard Stern, Yes? Perhaps Madonna? Both aim for the youth-oriented market, and they are significantly older than her.

Grow up. I mean that sincerely. Having now completed your schooling in the classroom, it's time for you to get the schooling of real life. This woman probably has another 20-30 years of working ahead of her. In another 10-15, if she's not keeping herself relevant, she'll be moving on to a different format. But until then, she's doing her job. I was listening on the radio this morning to a DJ who "admits" on the air to being in his 50s. I know it's shocking, but he has a wide following too.

Dear Prudie,

I witnessed an accident and now can't let it go.

GR

Dear "I'm sorry this happened,"

Ok, you have a real problem, and I hate to make light of it, so here is the serious and kind-hearted advice, then I'm going back to format for this column: Prudie is right. You need a therapist who specializes in PTSD type therapy. The one you have now isn't helping you progress. That's a problem.

/serious
GROW UP! Yes it was awful, yes it was horrible, but no, you weren't at fault. Any time you find yourself thinking about it, say "Not my fault, not my problem!" Then stop thinking about it and think of something else. Say the ocean? Kittens? Good sex? Whatever works. And keep trying until it works. Because grown ups have some nasty things in their past, the trick is figuring out how to live in spite of them.

Dear Prudie,
So you don't think I'm the same young twit from the first letter, let me just state up front that I'm, like, in my late 20's. Fer reals. But, like, they had sex, ON MY COUCH, and I didn't even get them to stop when I said EXCUSE ME. I can totally shame them, right?

NIMLR

Dear "Repressed much?"

Grow up. People have sex. Be glad it was the couch, and not the kitchen table, or against your bedroom door. Should they, perhaps, have thought twice about having it in your living room? Absolutely, but what the hell were you thinking to announce your presence? That you wanted to join in? That you wished it was a three way with your bf and his friend, and how dare this chick come in and screw it up? No?

Then why the hell does it matter? There should be no shame in having sex. Because if you subscribe to the shame in having sex theory, then you should be ashamed for living with your bf. I mean those morals extend to sex outside of marriage of any kind, chicky.

Dear Prudie,

Like, my husband actually pretends to care what I think. What should I do now??

YDTBLNT

Dear "Did you even TALK about communication styles before marriage?"

Grow up.
Seriously. If you didn't talk about how you like to communicate, and what you feel is important before you got married, than figure out now if you can fake it. If you can fake it, do it without the internal monologue of "when is he going to SHUT UP already?!??" If you can't fake it, you owe your husband a serious discussion about how you don't want to hurt him, but you can't muster the enthusiasm. You are willing to hear that he's enjoying it, and not interrupt if he wants to monologue about it, but you really honestly have no opinion.

That about wraps it up here. Hope y'all have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Excellent, Libby! I specifically like your Howard Stern example! I was trying to think of someone old and relevant in the youth market in radio. And though I know plenty, most of them are in local markets. He's the perfect example. And, yeah, oh man! Is he ever OLD! ;-)

    Good job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Smag! I listen to a local guy who's flavor is less college age, but still young here on the radio, and he is in the style (sort of) of Howard Stern, back in the day, Howard used to be on the same station as him.

    Heh. I always (well since I was 5) have said old is 100, but Stern is not "late thirties." To say the least. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Grow up" is definitely the best answer for 3 of these 4. For #2, the advice would better have been given to the passing driver, but now she never will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True, CoolOne, which is why I added the "/serious" to denote that the serious part of the post was over. Meanwhile, I think we're all agreed that Prudie did answer that question properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Libby welcome! I'm late because of computer troubles but I'm delighted to see you here.
    Good sound advice and pretty funny, not to mention quite perceptive in putting 1 and 3 in the same category.
    There are indeed a lot of older people in radio. The thing is you don't see them and can't tell how old they are by the sound of their voice (well, perhaps if they're 89, you might hear it...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kati! I've always been a bit of a Radio Groupie (shh, don't tell) - Although not to the extreme of rock band groupies. So I've met a larger percentage of on-air talent than most people tend to have done....which means that I do know that the ages of some of the most popular hosts/djs would shock many of their listeners. Which always makes me giggle. Old is 100. Why can't people get that?

    ReplyDelete