Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Appropriate Attire

Well, there I go again with the alliteration. So the Prudie Chat this week spawned all manner of discussion about what is and is not appropriate attire for different occasions.

This led me to a new poll query:

What do you think is appropriate wear for:

Afternoon weddings (church/country club)
Afternoon weddings (garden/home)
Evening weddings (garden/home)
Evening weddings (church/country club)
Weddings (any time of day Vegas)
Dinner out (fancy restaurant)
Dinner out (casual dining)
Movies (evening)
Movies (matinee)
Theater (evening)
Theater (matinee)
Shopping (Mall/department store)
Shopping (Grocery store)
Shopping (books, movies, etc)
Running errands (bank, post office, etc)
Running errands (home improvement store)
Spending time in your yard ignoring your neighbors?

Ok, I know that's a mighty list. Start with one or two, or the whole thing, whatever it is that moves you at this point. I'll be adding my thoughts in later.

*looking forward to whatever discussion is spawned here*

5 comments:

  1. Libby, you may be disappointed with my answer, but, for me, the *only* thing that matters is the comfort of the wearer. I am *never* embarrassed or upset with the choice of clothes my associates are wearing. Ever. I dress in a manner that I deem appropriate for myself for whatever function I'm attending, and I hold only myself to that standard. I never host an event that requires a certain style (unless it's a Halloween party, and, even then, costumes are entirely optional).

    Now, there is one caveat. If I am to meet someone at a fancy place (dinner, theater, etc.), and they cannot get into the establishment due to the fact that they've knowingly under-dressed, then I might be a bit peeved. So, if a collared shirt, etc., is required, I would hope that my associates would wear a collared shirt, etc.

    As for the letter in question, though, the LW fails to recognize, a) the obvious symptoms of depression, and, b) the fact that he's not the one dressed in a way he finds inappropriate and as far as lording over how his wife dresses, as far as I'm concerned, he can bite her ass. But that's just me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, for your list, here are my PERSONAL minimums:

    Afternoon weddings (church/country club): whatever the invitation calls for, but, with nothing specific listed, certainly slacks, collared shirt
    Afternoon weddings (garden/home): ibid
    Evening weddings (garden/home): ibid
    Evening weddings (church/country club): ibid
    Weddings (any time of day Vegas): Whatever you're wearing at the time, including bathing suits!!!
    Dinner out (fancy restaurant): collared shirt, slacks
    Dinner out (casual dining): shorts w/ belt, tee
    Movies (evening): shorts w/ belt, tee
    Movies (matinee): shorts w/ belt, tee
    Theater (evening): nice pants/slacks, collared shirt
    Theater (matinee): pants, collared shirt
    Shopping (Mall/department store); shorts w/ belt, tee
    Shopping (Grocery store): whatever I'm wearing, but clean and no holes, though!
    Shopping (books, movies, etc): ibid
    Running errands (bank, post office, etc): ibid
    Running errands (home improvement store): ibid
    Spending time in your yard ignoring your neighbors?: Speedo! No, just kidding, any kind of clothes, nasty, painted on, holes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the least bit disappointed, Smaggie! That sounds reasonable to me! I agree that the LW is focusing the wrong way on the situation, but stand by my notes that I think Prudie's advice for the personal shopper will clarify things nicely. If it's simple lack of comfort shopping for her new body, then a personal shopper could help her see that she can still look nice on occasion.

    Let me see if I can run through my own list now, and then we'll see if anyone else comes to play. =-)

    Also, this is my list for myself, because, unless I'm noticing something truly flattering on another person, or their butt hanging out, I just don't notice other people's attire.

    Afternoon weddings (church/country club) Nice slacks/skirt, blouse/sweater, minimal accessories required
    Afternoon weddings (garden/home) Work appropriate attire - Slacks/skirt, blouse/sweater
    Evening weddings (garden/home) Nice slacks/skirt, blouse/sweater, minimal accessories
    Evening weddings (church/country club)Nice skirt, nice blouse, accessories, nice shoes
    Weddings (any time of day Vegas) Elvis shirt and ratty jeans - ok, not really, but I would assume whatever goes.
    Dinner out (fancy restaurant) Nice skirt, nice blouse, accessories, nice shoes
    Dinner out (casual dining)work appropriate attire
    Movies (evening)ibid
    Movies (matinee)Anything other than sweats or pj's.
    Theater (evening)Nice dress, cocktail or tea-length, accessories, nice shoes
    Theater (matinee)nice slacks/skirt, nice blouse, minimal accessories
    Shopping (Mall/department store)WTF, Are you out of your mind? (wait, I'm asking myself that) Well, I hate shopping. With a passion, but I tend to wear the same things as I would to a matinee movie, at a minimum, if I must go.
    Shopping (Grocery store)Anything goes as long as it's clean and worn with enough underclothes to prevent any "jiggly bits" from jiggling too much. Including sweats and PJs.
    Shopping (books, movies, etc)See matinee movie
    Running errands (bank, post office, etc)see matinee movie
    Running errands (home improvement store)Likely Sweats (as I'm there in preparation, or the midst of H.I. work) or casual, not-to-worry if it gets snagged/dirty clothes
    Spending time in your yard ignoring your neighbors? two-piece bathing suit. No seriously, I'm only in the yard when the sun is out, and then I'm trying to make up for my usual lack of vitamin D, so I wear my bathing suit and soak in rays for about 30 minutes, and then promptly go back inside. This is uncomfortable only when the temp is under 45, or the wind is blowing briskly. If I'm in the yard for random other reasons, whatever I'm wearing, which usually isn't on the "nicer" side of things, but is, at least, clothes. =-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What to wear, what to wear...this is what I wear to everything. A head full of well groomed freshly washed hair, sparkling clean teeth, fresh scrubbed face, Bare Escentials, Mascara, lip pencil & gloss, pale nail color, clean jewelry so it sparkles.

    Trouser Denim Jeans, great jacket to fit the occasion from leather to embroidery and some sparkle, and great shoes/boots/sandals. Chanel #5 and a Smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Debbie, I wouldn't have pegged you for jacket sans blouse type of girl, but clearly I was wrong. ;-)

    ReplyDelete