Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Things I wish everyone understood:

Using tampons has nothing to do with sex. You can be a virgin and use them. You can be unable to use them because of your physiology. They can be very useful for a variety of reasons, but using tampons means absolutely nothing other than the woman using them is healthy enough to menstruate.

Taking hormonal birth control means nothing more than a woman is taking a prescription. Whatever her reasons are. They can be extremely complex, or completely simple. But they're no one else's business.

Taking birth control doesn't cause you to act irresponsibly with your sexuality. I can say this with confidence, because I was on BCP a couple of times while I was still a virgin. And each time was for at least a year. (If not a couple of years.) My life wasn't devoid of opportunity to behave irresponsibility with my sexuality during those years, but I chose to act responsibly.

For that matter, the times that I've taken birth control since I've lost my virginity, I have ALSO acted responsibly with my sexuality.

Making less than responsible choices with your sexuality does not excuse rape. Ever.

That bears repeating.
Making less than responsible choices with your sexuality does not excuse rape. Ever.

Sexual coercion is reprehensible regardless of the gender of the perpetrator and the recipient.

Domestic violence is never funny.

Disrespect is never funny.

Even people who have made hideous choices and taken things from other people (including the lives of loved ones) are still people. They still deserve a modicum of human respect. This is the reason for things like the Constitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment, the Geneva Convention, and others.

All choices have consequences. Some are good consequences (raises at the office from working hard). Some are bad (spending time in a correctional facility because you killed someone because you chose to drive drunk). You are responsible for your choices. You get to live with the consequences.

No one is perfect. Arguing from a standpoint that I'm better than you (or my team is better than yours) is the shakiest ground out there. Argue from the merits of the case, not the concept of superiority. If you are in the right, the truth will out. Even if it doesn't feel like it is happening soon enough in the moment.

Real love, the kind that lasts a lifetime, is hard work. It's not a fleeting emotion, though the emotion grows if you nurture it during that lifetime. It is the day-to-day process of putting the other person as a priority in your life, because you believe they deserve it, and you like the person you are when you are with them. And then choosing to do that every day, even when you don't feel they deserve it, or you hate the person you are with them right then. (This I don't know as much from personal experience as from watching many decades long successful relationships.)

Lifetime friendships are worth nurturing. Even if it is sometimes years between seeing each other.

Forgiveness doesn't make you weak. It makes your life easier. When you forgive someone, you are choosing not to continue being angry and upset with them, and using that energy to do so. It doesn't mean that you will continue to give them opportunities to wrong you again, if that is what they have shown their character to be.

I'm sure there are more, but this is the list for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment